Something fishy....

The friend who gave me the composting bin has fallen in love with a supermarket recycling bag - or more accurately, she has fallen in love with the fish that is on it.  In June this year Australia's two major supermarket chains (Coles and Woolworths) phased out plastic bags in favour of recyclable bags.  This was almost unthinkable for many Australians and, in an effort to make the transition easier and marketable, Coles released a line of community designed recycled bags that had been created by schoolchildren.

I was surprised to learn that the bag was designed by a local 15-year old high school student named Ella - in Moruya no less - who goes to school about 20 minutes down the road from me.  It's a small world.



Judging by the reference to the Murray River, I think the fish is the artist's impression of the Murray River Cod.  Apparently the Murray Cod, "is the apex aquatic predator in the rivers of the Murray-Darling basin, and will eat almost anything smaller than itself and anything in its way." 

Notice that the artist has drawn in the stomach contents with things that the fish might eat, e.g. yabbies, crabs, worms and other fish? Very clever.

I think this would look fantastic as an applique project using some Indigenous and hand dyed fabrics that I have in my stash, so I plan on making my friend her own patchwork tote with a fish based on this design, as a gift.

I wonder if I could contact 'Ella' and let her know about it?

Hubblebird

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...