Web woes


One of the hazards of living in a semi-rural location is the lack of good Internet access.  My Internet and land line connections went down on 17 October and after a phone call to Telstra I was promised that it would be fixed by 22 October.  

Well, the landline was fixed by 22 October, but not the Internet connection.  That took longer, and I still don't know why.  I did get a new modem delivered, because the other was apparently out-of-date but not responsible for the hitch, and I haven't managed to face connecting that yet in case everything crashes again.  Maybe tomorrow? 

Our land also borders a place of worship where the congregation are unable to use their mobile phones, or have Internet access for services/seminars.  To use their mobile phones, members of the congregation have to walk outside their hall, and a few hundred yards down the road, in order to get a weak signal. This means that services and seminars have to be recorded offsite and then played to the congregation when required.

In my house I can’t get a mobile service in my office/sewing room!  It’s the only room in the house where this occurs, and it can be pretty inconvenient when the landline is down and I have to dash outside with the mobile phone to talk to the technician, and then dash inside to try and fix technical faults with the technician still on the mobile outside. Oh well, when I am frustrated I have to tell myself that this is a ‘first world’ problem after all.

As for sewerage …. on this side of the highway we all have to have our own sewerage systems.  Up until last year the same rule applied to residential homes/blocks across the highway.  However, our local council extended town sewerage rights to the residential blocks, and provided all of the infrastructure required for connection, but did not do the same on this side of the highway.  This is despite the fact that our land (and several neighbouring properties) run parallel to the highway directly across from the residential area, and in some cases, we are closer to the infrastructure than the residential blocks!

Go figure. Another ‘first world’ problem … thank goodness we don’t have the old long drop to contend with!

The good news is that the technician at Telstra was very polite and helpful. I can just imagine the kind of abuse that these people have to put up with on a daily basis from frustrated consumers.

This morning I went for my early morning walk along the beach before going to my gym class, then home to find the builders have managed to knock out the apertures to take the new windows that will provide an even better view to my gorgeous garden.

After all the rain we have had recently – welcome for the garden – it was wonderful to get out into the fresh air with a calm sea and blue skies.

It puts things into perspective when you live in such a beautiful part of the country … and I get to enjoy it every single day.

oooOOOooo 

Slow progress on hexie sewing and I am hemming a piece of heavy duty cotton offcut (sort of  Morrocan style) that I have had in the sewing room for more than 20 years. I needed a tablecloth to cover an outside table for a BBQ and it just fit the bill.  Yay for fabric stashes.

Hubblebird

Comments

  1. We have kept our landline because in order to talk on our cell phones, we have to go stand in the middle of the driveway. It's not an issue in the summer, but not something I want to do in a snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...