19 blocks and counting ... a hexie update

I've now finished 19 hexie blocks, and by my estimation, that's around a fifth of the number of blocks I will need to create the quilt I have already named 'Red Centre'.  You may remember that my intent is to use Indigenous or Indigenous inspired fabrics throughout as a kind of celebration of Australia.

I love the mosaic effect of the blocks without any connectors.


I put a round of red connectors onto two of the blocks just to see what size they would end up.  They are enormous (20 inches long and 12 inches wide) and after I'd done this, I realised that I will have to unpick a few hexies in order to make them join up properly.  I haven't made a quilt like this before, and I'm not working from a pattern, so I'm learning along the way.



A friend went to a garage sale recently and came across a box of old Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazines which she bought for me.  I love flicking through magazines and can while away a few hours, not to mention a few cups of coffee, happily browsing.

I came across an antique hexagon quilt that had a tumbling block effect.  This created a secondary star pattern. I'm wondering whether I can reproduce this with my quilt. Time will tell ... I still have around 80 blocks to make!

Somehow I don't think I will reach my self-imposed deadline of 26 January 2019 (Australia Day) but that's okay, it's supposed to be all about the process isn't it? 

oooOOOooo

I'm turning the once fern-infested coppers logs behind my outdoor table into a vertical garden by fixing wall pots onto the wall of coppers logs.  I want to try and grow flowers here to add a bit of colour.  I planted impatiens into the first three, as this is a very shaded spot which is great in summer, but which lacks colour.  Today I put three more pots up and planted them with pansies which my husband brought home from the garden centre for me as a surprise.  He didn't realise that they are not shade loving, but so far they seem to have enough light to flower.  Everything has got a bit mashed by (the very welcome) rain recently, but you get the idea.


At first I thought it would be hard to drill into the logs, but I found that they were almost cork-like in consistency once I started drilling. This is probably because of their age.  Thank goodness they keep the soil bank behind from tumbling down - so far anyway - although I noticed that the logs are collapsing slightly further up the garden.  Another job to fix some time.

I'm the handywoman around here as it's not one of my husband's talents!

Hubblebird

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...