A sort of modern quilt

I don’t know about anyone else, but I feel ambivalent about ‘modern’ quilts. I include utility quilts as well as art quilts here.

I feel the same way about them as I do about some art – i.e. I can take it or leave it depending on whether I have an emotional response towards what I am seeing. Unfortunately, a lot of the time that feeling is ‘meh’!

Until the hexie pillow I hadn't tackled anything modern, but I recently came across a modern quilt pattern that jumped out at me.  I like pinwheels and the blocks looked fairly simple.  The pattern includes a way to foundation paper piece half square triangles (HSTs) and the blocks are set on point to add more interest. I haven't tried either of these techniques before. All in all, the quilt looks great in the magazine, but I'm not fond of the white cotton background, and my experience with the hexie pillow didn't make me any fonder of an all-white background.  If my quilting skills were better, that might make a difference to how I feel about it.


I decided to swap the white cotton for a tiny aqua polka dot on an off-white background. Now I'm not sure if I did the right thing!

For the blocks I’m using fabrics from a whole bunch of fat eighths that I bought Online earlier this year. I wouldn't normally have this kind of fabric on hand, or in such a precise size, but while surfing the web one night for Indigenous fabrics for the hexie quilt, I came across the bargain of the century from FiFi's Fabricology and had to buy them.

Because the HSTs are foundation paper pieced I need a 5.5 by 10.5 inch rectangle of each of 21 prints. After getting halfway through I’m mixing them up with some bright fabrics and florals from my scraps - some HSTs will have to be cut the traditional way from small scraps - as I thought the blocks were starting to look a bit too ‘meh’ and we can’t have that can we?

Hubblebird

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...