Stuck in the blooming brambles

Bramble Blooms Pt 2

Since my last post, when I actually managed to prepare the centrepiece for the Quilty Folk QAL, I have been stuck, if not entangled, in what to do next.


Convinced that my lack of creativity for the blooms in the centre was because my centrepiece was boring, I made two more centrepieces and discarded both, as they still didn’t get the creative juices flowing.  


And, right from the start I have grappled with the title of Bramble Blooms, which to me conjures up an English country scene with thickets of brambles, blackberries, wildflowers, rabbits, blackbirds and the green green grass of home.  One idea was lilies on a lake - what the heck has that got to do with brambles I asked myself.  Another was to feature Australian inspired flowers - the warratah and banksia spring to mind, and are still lurking there.


Obviously I was taking the title too literally, because as a glance at the links for the QAL will show, other quilters are using their interpretation of bramble blooms to come up with some stupendous ideas, and I am in a sea of envy!  


Audrey said that this is a ‘nudge toward getting comfortable with improvised quilt-making.’  Why am I finding this so hard?  I admire her style of quilts - they are very different to the sort of quilts that I make and the whole point of joining the QAL is to at least go some way toward emulating the loose, free, squishy, cozy, familiar look that is so ‘quilty folk’ that I honestly feel that I could spot one of Audrey’s quilts in a mystery quilt line-up.  


To answer the question, it’s hard because it is outside my comfort zone - that’s why and that is just as it should be - otherwise, for me, why join the QAL at all?


Before visiting other links I spent days drawing and redrawing something equating to blooms (the end of this gut-wrenching post has a few pics). I watched videos on different methods for needleturn applique, gathered cushions, pictures and arty books from around my home to spark inspiration, and I even managed to cut out a couple of pieces of fabric that might resemble a bloom.


Nothing is working.  


I remembered a creative quilting class that I took many years ago where we each did a series of small wall hangings.  Some were given away, but I did keep one that was a garden scene with a bird bath, flowers, bird boxes and a very large Currawong.  All improv.  I thought it would be good inspiration, but do you think I can find it?  The good news is that after ransacking every cupboard in the house, I found all these other fabrics, so something good came out of the search.



I’m getting closer to the blooms I want.  It occurred to me this morning that I can always add to the elements I have in mind - in fact, Audrey often adds elements along the quilt journey and that too is how it should be -  so the centrepiece at this stage does not have to be static.  That was a light bulb moment.


This weekend I will nail the blooms and start sewing.


Wish me luck!








Comments

  1. Well, I'm impressed with your drawings so I take it your center will be fantastic! Oh, and good luck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy - thank you for the encouragement. I love your coneflowers (which I first read as cornflowers - forgive me). Lovely and loosey-goosey!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love how you describe my quilts! Yes! That's so what I've been striving towards for many years.:) Your post makes me smile, but not from amusement at all. It's just that I've been exactly where you are many, many times over. It's soooo hard to start sometimes! And I'm very glad you realized that the applique can always be added to at a later date if you feel it needs something. Your drawings are wonderful. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I love your quilts. So unique. Still struggling a bit. My first flower has not turned out the way I thought it would and the stitching leaves much to be desired. It's marinating for now, but I think I will change the design.

      Delete
  3. I can identify with so much of what you wrote in the first paragraphs. I, too, thought of brambles as you do and tried to figure out a flower that would be bramble--and didn't. And outside my comfort zone--absolutely! This method is backward compared to how I usually make a quilt. I just have to remind myself that it's a learning opportunity.
    I think your flower drawings have such potential for a fabulous center block. I'm looking forward to seeing your center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. I'm still working on it - something is just not right. I remind myself that I am supposed to be enjoying this! Be good to see what you come up with.

      Delete
  4. I totally understand what you are saying...I am floundering trying to settle on the very first flower and the fabrics I will use. I've spent ages trying to make the first leap. Lovely drawings you have there and also fabrics chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jocelyn. I've followed your blog and your wooden house in the woods for a while now. I'm moving slowly along, but my first flower hasn't gone the way I would like. It may be back to the drawing board - thankfully Audrey has given us 4-6 weeks for the centre, otherwise I would be frantic! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

      Delete
  5. I think your drawings are great--whichever one you end up choosing will look fabulous. I am feeling really at sea with all this not knowing where this will end up. Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've just finished practice blocks for the cornerstones in the border. That was hard!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

What a rigmarole ...