A complete turnaround ….

Bramble Blooms Pt 2 Update

After watching many hours of YouTube vids and tutorials, I finally made the templates for my Droopy Flower and stitched down the first flower. 


Sadly, I just didn’t like it. I still didn’t like my background and the stitching on my appliqué was terrible. 


I went back to square one. 

First I had to tackle the eyesight issue. I mean, how many pairs of specs does it take to needle turn appliqué?  I also had to accept that I simply can’t sew at night. It has to be in daylight seated with my back to the window.  The cheap plastic 3x specs I keep in my handbag for when I go grocery shopping and have to read those pesky food labels without a magnifying glass won out. 


Next I resurrected one of the discarded backgrounds. I like the buttery colours and fabrics much more than the my original pieced background. And I finally found something in an old quilt mag to help me to square it up properly.


Then, having watched all those needleturn appliqué tutorials, I completely changed my mind and my design. 

1.  No points.
2.  No inner curves.
3.  Use the finest needle I can manage (Milliners 10).
4.  Use polyester thread.
5.  MAKE IT BIG.

I went with the daisy design I had originally drawn, but I wanted curves instead of angles. I researched how to make much better centres, dug out a roll of wrapping paper, and played around with my new idea.


I made new templates, and did a practice piece first.




I like!  Much happier with the happy daisy rather than the droopy flower which really made me droop!


I’ve sewed the first stem and centre. Now I feel I’m truly on the right track.

And my quilt will be called ‘Daisy’.



Comments

  1. You are embracing the process part of this QAL! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The big flower is just so happy. Far happier than the droopy flowers you tried at first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's lots of trial and error (or trial and mind changes) for some of us, me included. Your daisy is bright and beautiful! It should be lots of fun to add borders around those bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabric you picked out. It is just perfect for the daisies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...