Master class in art quilting

I belong to Night Owl Quilters on the NSW Coast.  The group originally got its name because it used to meet at night, but now with so many retirees (like me) the group meets in the morning on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month. Most members are older and more experienced quilters than I am, and they are a lovely group of ladies.

I go to the fourth Tuesday meeting because I play tennis on the other three Tuesdays.  The ladies at tennis have been very generous in helping me get back into play after I broke my foot last year, so I can't let them down.  Anyway, I really enjoy the game and the social side of it.  So much so that I've just enrolled in a Ladies Tennis Clinic to improve my skills and that starts Monday week!  A blog about that later.

At the last quilt meeting I went to one of our members brought a friend who had taken part in an online Master Class in art quilting.  She gave a very interesting talk about her experience and showed the body of work that she created during 12 months of study and creativity.

The aim of the course is to focus on design for art quilts.  Students study things like line, colour, depth, etc and each is required to produce one piece of work on the chosen theme per month.  The teacher is an artist who also quilts.  She provides help, support and a critique of your concept before you produce the final piece.  Other students can also participate in critiquing your work, and vice versa.

I thought our speaker's body of work was stunning.  Her quilts were all different shapes and sizes, and made entirely from her stash and found items (she made a conscious decision NOT to purchase any new fabrics for the course).

After her presentation I asked her to send me her tips to help us to make the decision to participate in such a formal class, which she gladly did straight away.

oooOOOooo

From speakers notes, Night Owls Meeting, Tuesday 25th September 2018

Personal attributes

*be able to be focussed on the task
*be able to make a decision and stick to it
*be able to problem solve
*be resilient to, and learn from, constructive comments
*be able to put procrastination in your stash
*be relatively organised in the rest of your life
*.....and to be passionate about what you are learning

Ideas to get the job done

*allocate a specific time for the course, e.g. day each week, morning/afternoon, a whole week, whatever works for you - but stick to it!
*seek help of your guild or interest group or 'partner in crime' - learning is usually more fun when having someone to share it with
*set up a workspace that holds your course materials/equipment where you can leave it for the duration of the course
*have a design wall/ideas board to showcase what you are doing

oooOOOooo

I'm seriously considering doing the Master Class which starts again in January 2019.  I've had a talk to my husband about it because of the commitment.  I love him lots, but he must understand that when I have the creative cape on he can't call on my time to do something else that amuses him!

I emailed the Master Class teacher, who is in the USA, and heard back from her promptly.

Watch this space.  I will need to made the decision soon I think.  I have a gazillion ideas floating around in my head already which are keeping me awake - and the sound of the ocean which is roaring at the moment.


I get lots of ideas on the beach.
 
Hubblebird

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...