Cupcakes and critters

My new grand daughter will have two cousins - Zoe and Eli.  I decided to make a quilt for each of them as a gift from the new baby.

Here is Zoe's quilt which I have named Cupcakes.  


I wanted to use only fabrics from my stash.  The multi-coloured strips came from a jelly roll that I bought years ago thinking that they would make good blending fabrics for my indigenous hexie quilt.  But they were far too loud and modern and I abandoned that idea.  The jelly roll has sat on the shelf for at least two years.  I never knew what to do with it.

Then I saw the cupcake fabric in my local patchwork shop a few weeks ago.  I teamed it with the small scale 'girly' animal and rainbow fabric.  The border fabric is left over from baby MJ's cot quilt.  The backing is from stash and purchased at garage sale just before our Corona lockdown.

I used a multi-coloured thread and the serpentine stitch on my Bernina to quilt this little quilt and I'm happy with the result.

Next is Eli's quilt.  Inspiration for this quilt came from Mary at Making Scrap Quilts from Stash.

Lots of Australian and novelty critters here.  Again, I used fabrics from my stash, except for the gorgeous lime green insect fabric purchased recently from my local quilt shop especially for Eli.  While I loved Mary's quilt, and I could rustle up enough solids from my stash to replicate it, I had a fair few fabrics in stash (some of which are at least 10 to 15 years old).  Like her, I didn't want to use plain black for the background fabric, so I also purchased half a metre of the round dot fabric from my local quilt shop.  

I didn't have quite enough to complete the quilt so several blocks are cobbled together from scrap fabric, and I had to make do with two plain black strips in the centre of the quilt to finish the top. I decided to put the narrow yellow border on the quilt to help stabilise the edges of the quilt as it is going to a little boy who will drag it around the garden and no doubt the dog will be lying on it too!  I'm really pleased to have used so many fabrics from my stash.

Now it's ready to quilt and I think this will be straight line quilted using the walking foot.

Hubblebird

Linking up to the Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More

And Beauty Pageant at From Bolt to Beauty.

Comments

  1. I love those! I bet the kids will love the bright colors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen. I’m following how you put your Hexie quilt together as I’m nearing the finish line on mine. Love the pastels.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Janet. Can’t comment on your blog for some reason. Still an avid follower!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...