Snowballs – just in time for the end of winter

My eldest son and his partner are having their first baby in November and I will be a first time grandma! I am so excited.  I had been knitting and sewing for weeks before the announcement and I will save those efforts for another blog.  Part of the anticipation sewing included the cot quilt.


 

Just before the bushfires I wrote about a cot quilt that I was inspired to make after seeing the Snoopy quilt by Allison at New Every Morning Patchwork and Quilting.  After the bushfires (in January) it took me a while to put the sewing room back together as much of it was all packed up and ready to go at a moment's notice, and interest had waned.

But once everything was almost set to rights I was keen to finish the baby quilt. Of course, once I started to sew the snowball blocks together I quickly ran out of the two background fabrics that I was using.  I also couldn’t find a Snoopy panel, or indeed any panel that I liked, to include in the centre. 

So, my quilt is radically different to one that first inspired me.

Now that I have finished it, I wish I had spent a bit more time placing the snowball blocks.  However, because I had to use two different background fabrics I concentrated on alternating each block based on the background.  I think that might have been a mistake.  I’m glad I didn’t use sashing – because I ran out of fabric – as I like the mosaic effect of the blocks butted up to each other.

All fabrics are from my stash.  I bought the border fabric and backing fabric at JoAnnes during my trip to the USA last year.  The orange border is a left over from another quilt.  It is hand dyed and purchased at the Melbourne Quilt Show many years ago. It is a perfect fit with the orange in the border fabric.

I quilted in the ditch around each block and echo quilted around the squares in the centre of each snowball.  I did a simple cross-hatch in the border.

The quilt is lovely and soft and snuggly.

I have thought about adding more quilting. But I love the snuggly feel of it too much to do any more quilting. 
 
Hubblebird
 

Comments

  1. Congratulations on becoming a Granny, so exciting for your family! Love your little cot quilt, and the backing is perfect. Is that pattern you used called Snowball Flowers, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jenny. Yes, this is the snowball flower block that Allison provides a tutorial for on her website above. An easy block to make. I had fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jenny. Yes, this is the snowball flower block that Allison provides a tutorial for on her website above. An easy block to make. I had fun with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...