[Butterflies wiggling]

I watch a lot of foreign films.  And, because many English language films and documentaries have such loud music (meaning I have to reach for the remote to turn down the sound, and then turn it back up again so that I can actually hear the dialogue) I always have the subtitles turned on for foreign and English language films and moderate level sound.  I do this for anything that I am streaming actually.

Much better.

An added bonus to the comfort of watching films this way is that sometimes the descriptions for background noise, usually in square brackets, eg [melancholy music] [footsteps clattering] are hilarious, and occasionally, completely wrong.  

For example, in a recent episode of a TV series set in the English countryside, a fox screaming in the dead of night is described as [woman screams].  Anyone that has ever heard a fox in the middle of the night will never mistake it for a woman screaming.  Kate, from The Last Homely House, certainly wouldn't.

Lately, I've taken to writing the quirky subtitle descriptors down.  [Insects chittering] is my current favourite.

I was originally going to call this quilt 'The Butterfly Effect'.

Now I am calling it [Butterflies wiggling] which references my original post about this quilt (you can read about that here) and my current infatuation with subtitle descriptors.


Robyn, the long arm quilter, has just finished quilting my quilt with a loopy, butterfly vine.  I am so happy with how it has turned out.  The texture is gorgeous and the quilting somehow makes the butterflies wiggle even more!


While the blocks are all scrap fabrics, and I can see that at least two blue fabrics from my very first quilt are in here from 20 years ago, the borders, backing and binding are all Robert Kaufman fabrics.  The batting is a 60% wool/40% polyester which makes it light, with a lovely loft.

If you squint your eyes and focus on the black you (I) can see wiggly pinwheels!

I had run out of the border fabric to do the binding, and my local quilt shops no longer had it in stock.  I didn't want to 'frame' the quilt with a contrasting binding.  A long search on the web yielded no suppliers of the original Robert Kaufman fabric in Australia, only the USA, and of course the postal cost far outweighed the cost of buying it.

Luckily, one local quilt shop had fabric from the same range in Robert Kaufman: Christiane Marques Venice.  I love how it blends in.  I machine stitched the binding on the front, and finished by hand on the back, which is my preferred method.  



The backing has a really beautiful hand, so it is soft and glorious.

Backing: Robert Kaufman Bright Side, Wishwell Collection

Thanks to Mrs Schmenkman Quilts for her tutorial on how to make the blocks, and for the inspiration to make this quilt. 

Robyn now has my very first quilt top, and I can't wait to see how that turns out.

It has knocked around in so many cupboards and drawers over the years.  I took the entire 3.5 hours of the Australian Open Final Men's to cut stray threads from badly fraying seams, and press seams that were pieced every which way but loose (it is my first top), on a hot and steamy night, so that I could give the quilt top to Robyn the next day.

I'm wondering which quirky subtitle descriptor will spark inspiration for the name of a quilt that was originally going to be called 'Moody Blues'?  

Comments

  1. This is such a great quilt and a perfect design to use up favorite scraps! It's always fun to look at our projects made from scraps leftover from other sewing items we've created. I really love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when a lot of folks were making those Butterfly blocks. I love how your quilt turned out. And the name cracks me up. We watch a lot of British shows and sometimes a character's accent makes it difficult to understand what is said so we run it back a bit with captions to see what we missed or we watch with captions if one of my hubby's two deaf brothers come to visit. I like [sinister music playing] and so sometimes hubby and I sometimes mention that we hear [sinister music playing] like for instance if we are out and about and see a suspicious looking character.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...