In a bind to fix a bind

I recently blogged about finishing 'Blue Mind' where I had problems with binding the frayed edges of a damask border.

A double bind to fix my mistake

After squaring up my quilt (late at night, and always a mistake) I made my binding in the usual way, and machine stitched it down.  Instead of cutting binding strips 2.5 inches wide, I opted to make a 3 inch wide binding, and sew that down with a half inch seam.  In this way I figured I would have enough binding to stabilise my fraying fabric.  

Unfortunately, that half inch seam did not cover the frayed edges of the damask border, which had steadily crept in.  I actually needed the seam to be 3/4 inch wide.  However, having already sewn the binding onto the edge of the quilt, I was reluctant to unpick those stitches on the fragile damask.

My options were:

(1) Unpick, resize the quilt by trimming another half inch all round, and then resew the binding back on.

(2) Try to fix what I already had by sewing inside the existing seam by another quarter of an inch, providing a stable 3/4 inch edge to cover up the frayed damask.

I went with the second option and I really like how it turned out.  I would do this again for another quilt because it provides a stable, durable edge that adds weight to the quilt.  Of course, this method doubles the amount of fabric needed for binding, and it will not be for everyone, but I decided to write down what I had done - more for my own benefit really - because I will do it again.

Here's how.

1.  Cut binding strips 3 inches wide and join together as normal.  Measure top and sides of quilt and cut the binding strip into four pieces for top, bottom, and sides of the quilt.  Press, wrong sides together, and attach to the edge of the quilt using a scant 3/4 inch seam.  I sewed the sides first.

2.  Fold the binding strip to the edge of the quilt, press to the outside, and top stitch down the inside folded edge with thread that matches the binding.

3.  Do the same for the binding strips top and bottom of the quilt.


4.  Top stitch down the inside of the folded edge using matching thread.

5.  Cut more 3 inch wide binding strips, and join together, as normal.  Measure top, bottom and sides of quilt and cut this binding strip into four pieces.  Press, wrong sides together. Then, using a quarter inch seam, attach the binding strip to the edge of the newly made folded edge on the top of your quilt, as you would normally bind your quilt.

6.  Turn the binding to the back of the quilt, mitre your corners, and hand stitch the binding to the back of the quilt.


7.  The width of the binding strip will cover all machine stitches on the back.

I think I will try this method with a contrasting outer binding strip on my next quilt.  It gives the quilt a weighty edge and drapes very nicely on the bed.

Again, this method won't be for everyone, but I like the way it looks and feels.

Feel free to try it yourself!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...