What a rigmarole ...

... and a Bramble Blooms Pt 3 Update

I'm calling on the Gods to thank the IT guy that I engaged to help me solve my Google and Blogspot problems.  He came to see me this morning, and it was a few dollars well spent to relieve my anxiety, and get me back into my blog.  

Google help/support/community etc, including the bot - called Bard of all things, which makes me wonder if this is a nod to The Great Bard (Shakespeare) himself - couldn't resolve my issues.  Google Bard is still learning and wasn't helpful. It turns out that I had created the problem, but it took us a long time to sort it out.  Hopefully all is now resolved, as I have a lot to talk about!

Adding the second border

Rambling in the brambles in more ways than one

Audrey's update for Bramble Blooms was to create the next border with repeat applique motifs and to add quarter-triangle style cornerstone blocks.  I read her really informative post several times, but I still managed to make a mistake - more on that below. 

I decided that I did want a coping border and dug out a very bright piece of fabric that has been in my stash for aeons.  I really like it, but have never found a use for it.  Now I have, and I'm happy.  I added cornerstones too.

Next came the applique border.  I had nothing in stash that was suitable, so I went to my local quilt store to browse.  I came back with 14 fat quarters (none of which I paid more than $5 for), 3 metres of yardage that were $10 each AND a brand new sewing machine.  

I rarely buy large amounts of fabric, never mind a sewing machine.

Anyhoo, I'd already decided I wanted to make the chunky cross blocks, and I made these from old fabrics.  I had no idea how to make them, and couldn't find a block tutorial on the Internet (I've never made quarter square triangles before).  So I experimented, and photographed each step.  This was mainly because Audrey advised us to keep good notes if we liked what we ended up with because a version of the block will be in future Bramble Bloom quilts.  

With apologies for the photo quality, as it was late at night, here is how I made them.  It's a reference for me too.

My block, unfinished, is 6.5" for a finished block at 6.0".  My fabric is only 7" wide, and it is all I have, so I cut the block 7.0" square.  I advise cutting at least 1" bigger than your unfinished block so that there is a bit more wiggle room to square up.  I was playing 'square up chicken' if there is such a thing.

Then I cut the block corner to corner, and I put pins in each triangle to remind me how they go back together.

Next, I cut four floral strips 1" wide and 7" long to finish at 0.5" wide.  I cut my little centre stone at 1" square.


I took two quarter triangles and sewed the floral strip to each with a quarter inch seam, and pressed the seams towards the strips as I wanted the strips to pop out and not 'float' behind the triangles.



Then I sewed a floral strip onto each end of the centre stone, pressing the centre stone seams out so that the strips nestled, and sewed the strip to the other quarter-square triangles with the floral strips. 


I pressed these seams inwards.


After this, I trimmed the block to 6.5" square.  

I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Applique border

I decided on a green border and used two of the striped fat quarters that came home with me the day before.  Of course, they were too short, so I added in the polka dot blocks to fix the length. 

And here's where I misread Audrey's post!  I thought the brief was to create twigs and berries for the applique.  I couldn't marry up twigs and berries with daisies (in my mind) so I spent hours drawing and redrawing something that I could include.  I came up with 'funky twigs and berries', and finally drew up a practice block.


And a practice 'piece' that gave me an idea of how to place this in the polka dot blocks.

 I also decided that I wanted to have daisies sort of twirling through the air in the striped border, and went back to my original drawings to create a kind of daisy.  Then I made a practice block for a daisy on a scrap piece of cotton, and cut around it so that I can pick it up and move it around on the border to get a feel for where I will place the final applique.


I went to my knitting group yesterday with hand sewing instead of knitting, and my friends said:

"That looks like a propeller, not a daisy." "Maybe you should round out the top of each petal?" "Have you thought about making the daisies different sizes?" None of my knitting group friends quilt by the way, but I appreciated their comments.  


So, I think it is back to the drawing board with the daisy, as I also think that my practice daisy looks too much like a propeller.  

I've come up with an idea to fix that blue flower which is still bothering me, and the blank space in the top left corner of my centrepiece which is also bothering me. 

All-in-all this project is growing like Topsy.

A twig by any other name (apologies to the real Bard)

Having sewn down two twigs and berries blocks, I re-read Audrey's post and realised that I didn't have to do twigs and berries at all! But I've started now, and so I'll finish.

I've already made all of the circles (berries) and getting the twigs down to 1/4" was so difficult that I can't bear to abandon them now.


So, a lot of stitching going on, and a lot ahead!  I seem to have made this a whole lot more difficult than it needs to be, but I am learning so much.

Which makes me think that I will make the next Bramble Blooms quilt simpler than this one has been so far.

And a pieced border with minimal applique for the final part of this quilt may be in the offing.  

Comments

  1. Hello! Creative quilting for sure. The word "rigamarole" brought back memories. THANKS! My Dad used to say that. Keep on creating....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Both my Mum and Dad used the word a lot. I once read a book when I was a child where the dog was called Rigmarole. I think the book was a children's classic, but I can't remember the title now. Good name for a dog, I think!

      Delete
  2. Loved reading all about your BBQAL adventures! I do find improv challenging so was smiling as I read your post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've changed my mind already! Daisies are re-drawn, and my love affair with the twigs is on the wane. I think the border will look too busy in each corner with the twigs and the cornerstone blocks. Hmmmm.

      Delete
  3. I am so surprised at how hard this improv can be. I really like your green borders and the little rectangle next to your cornerstones - that you are appliqueing on. It is turning out so nice. I think the hardest part for me is that I am continually second guessing myself and worrying about having enough fabric. Look forward to seeing what you decide on for your daisies around the border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand perfectly about worrying about having enough fabric. I don't have a big stash. I was sure I would not buy anything new but my scraps are really dwindling, and the main worry is not having yardage for borders. Hence my fix with this border. The fabric that I did buy is completely out of my normal style - in anticipation of the next quilt in the series - and it will be interesting to see how that turns out.

      Delete
  4. I chuckled reading about your shopping trip to browse and coming home with lots of fabric AND a new sewing machine. I like your shopping style!
    Your Bramble Blooms looks great. I especially like your bright, narrow border between the center and the outer border. It seems like you've faced lots of challenges with this quilt. I'm glad you're not abandoning any part of it (but, of course, it's fine if you do because you're the one creating it!).! And great berry circles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a challenge. I'm glad to be using older fabrics. Those berries bother me though - I think there is overcrowding in the corners, so I'm debating ripping them out :-(

      Delete
  5. I love all your colorful "berries", and I think your "propeller" daisy is really cute - maybe you can use it in the next border or appliqued to cornerstones in a future quilt? You do take really good notes, and I appreciated seeing the photos of how you made your cornerstone blocks for this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The propeller daisies look like they are flying through the air to cut off the heads of the other daisies! Working on rounding them out now. Thank you for the notes. I really had no idea how to do these blocks.

      Delete
  6. Loved reading through this today! Your project is looking so good and yay! for finding the perfect spot for the older bright piece of fabric. Sorry for the oops, but the twigs and berries are super sweet.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The twigs and berries may need a re-think/re-use/replacement. I'm thinking on it. Thank you for commenting, and for continuing this great sew along.

      Delete
    2. PS: I'm cutting out fabrics for my version of your Autumn Tulips, and having fun with that too!

      Delete
    3. I tried to find your email to respond to the comment on my blog. Loved reading about your journey across the country. Sounds like you are definitely changing things up! And I had to smile at taking your applique with your for the nights on the road. I have been known to bring my applique bag into many a hotel.:) Best of luck getting things situated in your new environment!

      Delete
  7. Hi Audrey. Thank you for your comment. I think I’ve fixed my profile now to include an email address. I’m a technophobe so it always takes me time to sort glitches out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles