Postage stamp surrender

In a moment of madness, some time in 2021 or maybe earlier, I jumped onto the postage stamp quilt bandwagon, and cut what seemed to be a gazillion 1.5" scrap squares to prepare for the marathon of creating a postage stamp quilt.

Of course, at the time, the reasoning was that I could make this a leader/ender project.  Now, I have an all or nothing type of personality, which meant I got stuck right in and decided that the best thing to do, and just to make it more complicated of course, was to come up with a block that used the squares a bit more creatively, get sewing, and create a queen size masterpiece.   This way I could create a block a day in no time! (I thought).

I came across a tutorial for a block called 'Square Dance' and saved it on my iPad.  Unfortunately the person that created this block does not blog any more, but if you are interested, you can go to the blog and search for the tutorial.

Turned the block into a placemat

I had a small amount of black fabric with polka dots and decided to use this as part of the block - just to practice, you know?

Well, three blocks in I ran out of polka dot fabric. I could not find anything that replicated what I needed, and disillusion quickly set in.  In any case, why was I sewing teeny, tiny pieces of fabric together when I wasn't enjoying it?

I abandoned all thoughts of making a quilt.  Instead, I made one block into a placemat; with the other two blocks, I decided to create a table runner, and use this to practice my hand quilting.

Hand quilting practice for a table runner

I quickly got fed up with that too.  Plus, I don't use table runners in my house (not patchwork ones anyway).  I don't need any more useless items in the house.

So the blocks languished in the sewing room for a few years.

I've mentioned before that one of my favourite You Tubers is Kate at the Last Homely House.

My son gave me her 2024 calendar as a Christmas gift.  Apparently, January is the time to start a new project.

I need a new project like I need a hole in the head.  But I need a break from Bramble Blooms, and I'm still procrastinating over finishing the last few blocks for the Teri Rowland scrap quilt.

I wondered if I could turn the now orphan blocks into a sewing pouch, just like the one that Kate did for her first You Tube video for 2024?

I ripped out the now doomed table runner and got going with batting, lining and hand quilting. 

I've made two as the first (for which I used a cotton batting) seemed a bit too bulky - maybe because of all those seams?

For the second effort I used a scrap piece of flannel instead of batting.  After attaching the lining I trimmed my seams down to 1 eighth of an inch before turning it right side out, sewing up the opening, and then hand quilting.

Lined, sandwiched, and trimmed (inside)

I like it much better.

Outside of pouch

All square

I learned, with the first attempt, that I do not like hand quilting in the ditch.  Too much strain on the hands.

Also, I have limited thread to hand quilt with.  I must try the Aurifill that Kate recommends. For my first effort I used Sue Spargo thread.  This is great for sewing on felt, but I found that pushing it through the layers of my first pouch made the thread slightly fuzzy.

For my second attempt I used a Perle cotton purchased at my local thrift shop.  I have only four colours, and settled on the red.

Thanks Kate - this was a great (not so little project as it took me all day) inspiration.

I enjoyed doing it, and I love my little pouches.  

All finished (outside)

Open pouch

It's a wrap!

But I have surrendered to the postage stamp quilt craze, and I'm filled with admiration for the people that persevere with it!

Now, what to do with the slightly less than a gazillion 1.5" squares?  

Comments

  1. That little pouch is a perfect use of those little squares (note to self - go find tutorial). I, too, suffer from way too many 1.5" squares, though my problem had its origins in Project Quilting. I have mine in a little drawer organizer, sorted by color, and they do come in handy every so often in a project, but also the need to save every scrap that I can cut that small has made the problem worse. I'm half-heartedly joining the Rainbow Scrap Challenge in the hopes I can make 9-patches from them. Or some 3x3 block. What becomes of those is later Katie's problem! Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the 9 patches. I’m packing up the sewing room for a house move and I donated my 1.5 inch patches to the lovely lady that bought my Husqvarna. She was thrilled …. I was thrilled to move them on!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...