A birdie for Belinda


I finally got the sewing room set to rights, post bushfires, and released my sewing machine from hibernation. 

It’s my best friend’s birthday next week and I wanted to make present for her.  I originally intended to make her a tote but ran out of time.

Instead, I found a free pattern by Diana Harris aka Stashbandit for a small wall hanging and I set to work sorting through scraps.  I’ve been collecting white-on-white’s and neutrals to make one of Lynne Tyler's (Patchery Menagerie) bird quilts one of these days.  I picked one of the neutrals out for the sashing for the heart blocks.  As it turns out the neutral fat quarter is just the right amount of fabric.

I put the blocks together fairly quickly and by the end of an afternoon I was able to play around with them for placement.  I used all sorts of scraps, predominantly flowers, because Belinda loves gardening. I also had a few brights from quilts I made many years ago.



Then I added the sashing.


The outer border is from fabric I bought many years ago that I intended for my ‘falling leaves’ quilt.  This is a UFO that has been languishing on the shelf for some time, so this pretty leaf fabric is being put to good use! 

Oops - sashing and hearts are a bit rustic which means no straight line quilting!















I remembered a panel that I had purchased for a baby quilt, and I decided to use this as the label in a pieced back.

This little birdie is so Belinda!



Now to quilt.


Hubblebird

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...