Unsmashed avocados

Our avocado green and bilious brown bathroom is getting demolished.



My husband (who loves bathing) wanted to get rid of the enormous spa bath and have a long, deep tub that he could lie down in. He is 6ft 2in, so that seemed like a reasonable request.  I, on the other hand, loathe bathing in a tub.  In fact, the quicker I can get in and out of a bathroom the better. Must come from sharing one bathroom with three males for most of my adult life - my morning shower before work had to be quick - but the truth is I don't linger in there because I have far better things to do with my time!

If we'd known how costly it would be to renovate such a large bathroom we might have had second thoughts.  However, it has to be done and its best to get it over and done with for the next 20-odd years as we don't plan on moving out of this house unless it is feet first.

This house was built more than 26 years ago, and back then there was no regulation about waterproofing in wet areas (now a building requirement) so this meant that the concrete floor had to ripped up and relaid before waterproofing can go on.  The worst part has been the dust from ripping up the concrete floor which has spread throughout the house.  It will mean a big clean up for me, unfortunately.

It's exciting to have renovations.  I've never been in a position before to have the luxury of changing rooms in a house, other than by painting or wallpapering.  I once brought 6 rolls of Laura Ashley wallpaper back from Belfast to Australia in my suitcase after a visit to Mum and Dad! The next time I visited I brought back four pairs of full length curtains. My luggage was overweight at check-in and I couldn't afford to pay extra so I had to empty my suitcase, in front of many other passengers, remove clothes and shoes for Mum to post on to me, and board the plane with those curtains. I was determined not to leave them behind.

We thought that the spa and basins might not make it through the demolition - become smashed avocados* as it were - but they survived so we are going to try and sell the spa, pump, and matching basins on the local 'Buy, Swap, Sell' Facebook page.

There may be someone out there who is in the market for an avocado green bathroom suite - you just never know!

oooOOOooo

Australia has become famous for being in the news about smashed avocados on toast - the argument being that our young people spend all their money on luxuries like this rather than on saving money for a house deposit. Many young people are in two minds about whether it is worthwhile buying a house any more because of the considerable expense, and a lifetime devoted to paying off the mortgage.  

When you consider that many young people now are without permanent jobs - that is they work under contract, or on a casual basis for the benefit of the employer, not the employee - you can understand their reluctance to commit to a lifetime of debt (even if the banks will consider them for a loan). I worry about the prospect of my sons being unable to buy a house.  Also, wages for young people are not rising for real, meaning many are just going backwards.

You can read about the smashed avocado saga, started by a wealthy male, and a rebuttal from an economist here.

Hubblebird











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...