Game, set, no match … but a lot of fun!


Friday was blisteringly hot here – around 37 degrees C – with low cloud and a lot of humidity. Sadly, no rain, but warm enough to reassure me that I am on the right track with my exercise program and a new tennis schedule for summer (and the dreaded bathing suit) which is just around the corner. 

Thankfully, today was much cooler and it was great to get out onto the tennis court with the coach and a new group of ladies (in my age group) all keen to improve our tennis and our fitness levels.

I had my first lesson with Brad (the coach) last week, and after explaining to him that my (almost) 60-year-old knees could not take too much twisting in tennis drill, I was very happy to have him say that he feels it is important to learn how to strike the ball properly so that we are less susceptible to injury if our bodies – particularly our legs and feet – are in the wrong position in the first place.

Today we focussed on the backhand, and the importance of follow through in order to get the ball up over the net. I have a tendency to not follow through and the ball goes into the net, even though I have a very powerful hit.  So that was great for me to learn how to improve the backhand. We also did some drills in volleying - fore and backhand - and worked on our service game.  I was surprised to learn that I have naturally fallen into the correct stance to serve, I just need to be more accurate.

I had a great time and really enjoyed play. I am very competitive, I'm afraid. I never was as a schoolgirl, but in my later years I have somehow morphed into someone determined to win.

On Tuesday mornings I play with another group of ladies who are more experienced than me, but perhaps a bit slower.  Their accuracy is phenomenal though!  I aim to get 6 hours of play each week, together with 2 hours circuit training at the gym and 2 hours of Pilates.  It’s also almost swimming weather - ocean temps are still around 17 degrees C which is a bit too chilly for me - and I feel like getting out on the river with the kayak.

The body is holding up so far! No injuries, apart from the usual aches and pains of muscles that have had a work-out, and the broken foot is not bothering me too much. It can only get stronger.

Life is good – but it’s a struggle to fit in the gardening and sewing, never mind the housework.

Hubblebird

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...