Tiptoe through the tulips …

The last time I posted I was determined to finish blocks for the scrap quilt. But I got squirrelled!


I have always admired Audrey’s (from Quilty Folk) Autumnal Tulips quilt and reading her blog about starting a new one reminded me of this.

I went back to the original post Here in 2020 and noticed that at the time she had offered a PDF download of the templates to make the block.

Obviously I am well past the time date of that offer, but inspired by my (ahem throat clearing noise here) newly acquired template making skills, I wondered if I could make my own templates and make a version of the block myself?

In short, making scrap quilt blocks fled into the distance for the weekend as Audrey has lit a fire in the belly to try more appliqué.

So I made templates.


And I made a sample block.  I wanted to use the muted tone of fabrics that Audrey favours to make up my sample.  They are old fabrics.  Some are from a jelly roll bundle that I bought to make a quilt when I first started quilting.  As a beginner I joined something called ‘The Strip Club’ at a local quilt store.  I didn’t enjoy it for reasons best left unsaid, and having moved 3 times since then, the pattern is long gone.  So I’m putting those muted fabrics to use hopefully in Bramble Blossoms but also in Autumnal Tulips if it ever gets off the ground.


I decided to hand quilt my sample block to finish it off, as so often, my sample blocks just end up in the scrap heap.

I like how it has turned out. But once again I made ‘rookie’ errors and the templates will need to be tweaked a little more.

1.  I started with a block measuring 10 inches knowing that I would trim it down to 8.5 inches, but I neglected to remember that when I placed the pieces.  I should have stuck to the layout above, but somehow in sewing the design down I placed the lower leaf too low and at an angle.  It’s all out of whack and the block ended up being trimmed 8.5 wide and 9 inches long.  I’ve noted to fix this in the next effort.

2.  The stem is too thin.  I will fix that.

3.  I like the shape of the leaf shapes I drew, but I don’t like either the placement or the fabric.  Now they look like wingless doves! I’ll fix that too.  I might also sew a few stitches to define a leaf vein.

4.  I only had a variegated Sue Spargo thread to try out the hand quilting plus a small amount of red in Perle 8.  I think the Sue Spargo is a little too thick and my stitches are all over the place.  I will need to buy Perle 8 threads for the final quilt.

5.  I still can’t master either a thimble or a hoop.  I’m thinking that since this is a quilt with sashing, I could try quilt as you go for the final quilt and just hold the fabric in my left hand, as I did to quilt this sample.

Overall I’m pleased with dipping my toe into tulip appliqué (thanks to Audrey) and I would like to make a start on a quilt next year. 

But now it is definitely time to get back to those scrap blocks!

Comments

  1. I have to say that you did a great job of dipping your toe in. I have a really difficult time making freehand templates so I find your tulip pretty impressive looking.

    Second of all you have left some lovely comments on my blog and I have no way to respond so thought I would pop over here and give you a big thanks for the visit. I was really interested to hear you use amaranthus seeds to fill pincushions. I have never heard of that. It must take a million seeds to stuff even the smallest of pincushions. The seeds I have are like dust. I've tried growing my own a couple of times - more specifically Love Lies Bleeding. Maybe this year I will have some success. First time I planted in too much shade and plants were leggy. Next time I planted in a sunnier spot the deer decided they liked running through that area of the garden and my Love Lies Bleeding never got more than a couple inches high due to the constant trampling. Last year when I planted some flea beetles attacked and at most of the leaves when they were small plants so they never did thrive. I think the package of 1000 seeds was not very expensive but not sure how long they last. 1,000 seeds looked like a speck in the seed packet! So if ever I grow my own and get seeds I do know a good use for them now. I was really growing for the cut flower.
    Thanks again for the visit to my blog. Sorry I have no way to reply right now! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I think I got the amaranthus tip from someone in a quilt group and I can't track her down now. I will put a post with photos on my blog for what these look like and where I buy them. Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  2. Love this! The colors are so very sweet.:) And I'm so thrilled that you're diving into the template making thing even more. It opens up a whole new world! hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audrey. I hand quilted it to make a sample block and I really like how it turned out. I will be making a start on a lap size quilt later this year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...