Kookaburra … and I’m going koo koo


As I write, I have just come back from our Saturday morning breakfast date.  I’ve put the dishwasher on, brought clothes in off the line ready to iron this evening, put another load of washing on, tidied the kitchen after last night’s dinner (I was too tired and went to bed before doing this last night), made the bed, got stuff out of the freezer to make Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner this afternoon, dried off three dogs that got out into the rain, swept leaves away from the back door and moved the soaking wet doormat under cover, chopped veg and put a pot of dog stew on the stove … and then went into town again to pick up an ink cartridge (that I forgot) so that I can print off my husband’s air tickets for his flights on Monday. I won’t have time tomorrow.

When I got back from town I sorted out the printer, printed the tickets, printed another couple of templates for the not-so-modern quilt that I desperately want to finish, found new fabrics, measured, cut and pinned these to the templates ready to sew tonight, and then I sewed the last hexie on the Kookaburra block.


My husband said, “Why are you always so busy?” It’s a quarter to four in the afternoon and he is about to go for a nap before the football match starts on TV at 5.30pm. Hence my desire to get the spag bol and dog stew cooked so that I can do a bit of sewing at the machine before I iron some shirts that he can pack for Monday’s four-day trip. 

He often asks me this question. 
 
Another question is, “Why can’t you just sit and watch TV in the evening instead of sewing/knitting/reading at the same time?”

“Because there are not enough hours in the day to do all that I want to do before I drop off the perch, or the eyesight gives out, whichever comes first,” is how I want to respond. 
 
I settle with, “Because that’s just who I am.”

Is this the same story in your house?

I’m looking forward to four days of uninterrupted sewing and gardening.  I’m even thinking of not going to tennis on two days so that I have those extra mornings to just sew.

The imagined bliss is almost too hard to bear – and yet I will miss him every day!

Hubblebird


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilty Folk Quilt Along

Stuck in the blooming brambles

What a rigmarole ...